The international students are provided with financial support for international students in the UK as most of them are not able to support themselves. These options include-
- Student loans
- UK universities
- International organizations
- Private organizations
Types of UK Financial Aid for International Students
These are not open to everyone and have strict eligibility criteria.
- Chevenching scholarships
- Level of study of Chevenching Scholarships-Master’s
- Countries eligible-144 countries. Around 700 scholarships are awarded every year.
- Applications dates: August-October/November (usually).
- Commonwealth scholarships
- Level of study: Master’s and Ph.D. (undergraduate-citizens of St. Helena and the
- Seychelles only)
- Countries eligible: 62 commonwealth nations
- Eligibility criteria: commonwealth citizen, refugee or British protected person and at least 2:1 Honours degree.
- Applications open date: August before your course is due to start
- Amount-Typically cover tuition fees, a monthly living allowance and travel to and from the UK.
- Saltire scholarships:
- Level of study: Master’s
- Countries eligible: Canada, India, Pakistan, USA and China
- Other eligibility criteria: offer for a place at a Scottish university to study a Master’s in any one-Science, Technology, Creative Industries, Healthcare and
- Medical Sciences or Renewable and Clean Energy
- Applications open: October, till May.
- Amount-50 scholarships worth 10,440 USD.
These are tied to specific universities for international students. Below are a few universities which offer scholarships to international students-
- University of Cambridge (GATES Cambridge)- for postgraduate
- Kingston University- for undergraduate
- University of Oxford (Rhodes scholarship)-for postgraduate
- University of Warwick (A.S. Hornby Scholarship)-for Master’s
Student loans are provided to US students studying at colleges and universities in the UK. They can be either on short-term basis or for an entire degree program. It is for the students who are enrolled in an approved US school and studying in the UK on study abroad program of a year or less.