In New Zealand, international students have an advantage of working immediately after completing their studies through special visa.
For students, depending upon the coursethey have chosen, they have an advantage of working in New Zealand for up to 4 years and possibly even settle down after 2 years of stay in the country.
Study to Work Pathway Visa
The study to work pathway has 2 steps:
- Post Study Work Visa (open) – Students can work for 12 months after their studies with any employer. If one gets relevant job of the specialty of the student, one can apply for Post Study Work Visa (employee assisted).
- Post Study Work Visa (employee-assisted) – One can work up to 2 years if it is a relevant job. Get Post Study Work visa (employee-assisted) within 3 months of open’s expiry (6 months for doctorate).
After November 26, 2018, certain changes will be implemented in study to work visa. Following are the changes: –
- Removal of employee assisted posts-study work visa.
- A 3-year post study work visa for undergraduate (level 7) or further higher level of qualifications too.
- A 1-year post study work visa for students studying at level 4 to 6.
- International students studying at Level 8 qualification (postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma) must be studying in an area on the Long-Term Skills Shortage list, so that their partners become eligible for an open work visa, and dependent children for fee-free schooling.
Skill Shortage List
New Zealand has a database of jobs known as Skill Shortage List (SSL) which stores different job profiles available for international and domestic candidates. If the employer finds a migrant fit for a particular job, that migrant can apply for temporary work visa.
Through Essential Skills Work Visa, the students can support the applications for their partners and dependent children. It is issued for up to 5 years depending upon the job level.
Categories of Skill Shortage List: –
- Long Term skill Shortage List
- Immediate Skill Shortage List
- Skill Level Classification
Note: A skill level is defined on the basis of range and complexity of the task one has to perform.