To study in Canada or abroad, students need to demonstrate their language efficiency and aptitude to take admission in the desired institution. Canada is a bilingual country with two languages, English and French. The language may change depending upon the area.
Quebec, New Brunswick and Ontario provinces speak French language. Students interested in the admission in the mentioned areas must be proficient in French.
Apart from that, exams such as GRE and GMAT are also a requirement for admission in the major universities of Canada.
Before, one makes a choice of a university, it is better to know about the international exams which must be accepted before filling the application forms of the universities.
The exams depend upon the countries and universities. There are situations when students could be exempted from the exam.
TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL measures the ability of a non-native English speaker to communicate in English language.
- TOEFL is apt for the people who are seeking student visa for admission into universities of Canada.
- It tests the examinee on the basis of reading, listening, writing and speaking categories.
- TOEFL score is accepted in more than 10,000 institutions around the world.
- It is not accepted by Canada in case, the person is seeking immigration. Only IELTS or CELPIP are the tests valid for that process.
- The score must be less than two years from the first day of the class.
Minimum score required to pass TOEFL (iBT)
- Undergraduates – 79 and above
- Graduates – 80 and above
IELTS – International English Language Testing System
IELTS is organized to assess the English language proficiency of a candidate who is looking forward to go to a place where English language is used for communication. IELTS score is required for entry to Canada or other countries.
It is accepted by around 350 institutions in Canada.
Fact: IELTS was the first exam recognized by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and Quebec for English language proficiency for Express Entry of skilled immigrants.
There are two types of IELTS exam:
- IELTS General Test – For people who want to work or live in Canada
- IELTS Academic Test – For students who want to study in Canada